- Church architecture underwent rapid change starting in the 50's but accelarating to dizzying speeds in the 60's and 70's.
- Charles-Édouard Jeanneret, a.k.a. Le Corbusier, was one of the founding fathers of modern architecture along with Mies Van der Rohe and Walter Gropius.
- St. Cecilia Catholic Church in Houston built in 1978. Designed by Charles Tapley, FAIA.
- A machine for living in. The Villa Savoye was an examplary case study that incorporated all five points of architecture as outlined by Le Corbusier. Here a detail of the internal stair, echoes an ocean liner.
- The Seagram building in New York City by Mies Van der Rohe became the model for corporate high rise architecture for decades to come.
Five Points of architecture illustrated: watch
Towards a New Architecture book by Le Corbusier: get it here
Notre Dame du Haut Chapel by Le Corbusier: see it here
Extraordinary Form High Mass at the Chapel of St. Basil, University of St. Thomas. Houston, TX. Friday 2-22 @ 10:30 am
Come see the most sublime juxtaposition of new and old!